Saturday, March 6, 2010

Racism in America

This semester I'm taking a course that deals with race and vision in African American literature. The class consists of lectures on Mondays and Wednesdays, followed by a small discussion group on Fridays. Currently, we've read Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye, Toi Derricotte's The Black Notebooks, and Shepherd Hendrix and Derek McCulloch's graphic novel, Stagger Lee. All of these pieces of literature deal with the racism of the past, which makes me ask myself, "Has America come any farther in terms of approaching and dealing with the idea of prejudice and racism?"
These novels touch on themes dealing with black being considered ugly and the constant obsession with a white standard of beauty such as flowing hair and a slender, versus broad, nose. Reading these books made me want to go back to when I was my in elementary school and see if the black children sitting beside me felt the same way; that they weren't considered beautiful in society and felt as though the teacher favored the white students, like myself, more than them.
I encourage you to read the books below and open your mind to experience the thoughts and feelings of a black child growing up in a country filled with racism and black opposition. They can really change your way of thinking and shed light on issues you may not consider crucial (the picks I recommend are bolded).

Toni Cade Bambara, "Gorilla, My Love"
Toi Derricotte, The Black Notebooks
Virginia Hamilton, Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush
Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye
Toni Morrison, "Recitatif"
Derek McCulloch and Sheperd Hendrix, Stagger Lee
August Wilson, The Piano Lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment